What does a Garden Gnome do when she is not gardening, in the kitchen or doing genealogy? Well the answer might just surprise you so read the entries to find out more. This blog focuses on everything we do to make our house a home. There will be a strong emphasis on home energy efficiency and do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. At the same time there will also be crafts, knitting and crocheting projects along with any other little tips we do to create that down to earth, I want to be here home. Please enjoy your visit :)




Monday, July 19, 2010

Food Storage Containers

rubbermaid lock-its

Rubbermaid® Lock-its

Quite some time ago we started on our quest to rid our kitchen of as much plastic as possible.  The main reason was I felt that going to glass containers for food storage was a better eco-friendly choice and for the most part they are.  The lids are plastic but other than that I am quite happy with the performance.  Over the past year I have worked at getting rid of plastic food storage containers mainly because they were old, stained and many were missing lids.  I quickly found though that plastic storage containers are better suited than glass for some uses especially on the boat. 

My dilemna was I did not want to buy the cheaper disposable plasticware like Ziploc® containers because quite frankly I've been down that road.  Essentially I was looking for better quality for the few pieces I wanted.  I wanted plasticware that was BPA free even though I don't use plasticware in the microwave oven and seldom put it into the dishwasher.  I wanted something sturdy enough to be leak proof and live up to regular travel.  I tried out 2 pieces of the Rubbermaid® Lock-its for a couple of months.  I liked how they performed so this weekend bought a 12 piece set.  These are perfect for taking on the boat where glass food storage containers pose the higher risk of breakage.  I want to pick up a couple of the larger ones our next shopping trip to the US as I haven't found these containers on the Canadian side.  That along with 5 screw top Ziploc containers comprise my plasticware food storage used mainly for travel purposes.  It's not a lot especially when compared to the plasticware of others.  They don't take up much room, stack nicely by snapping together and basically fit a specific need.  The down side is I will not be readily willing to part with these storage containers like I would the disposabale ones but that's ok. 

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments: