What does a Garden Gnome do when she is not gardening, in the kitchen or doing genealogy? Well the answer might just surprise you so read the entries to find out more. This blog focuses on everything we do to make our house a home. There will be a strong emphasis on home energy efficiency and do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. At the same time there will also be crafts, knitting and crocheting projects along with any other little tips we do to create that down to earth, I want to be here home. Please enjoy your visit :)




Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sidetracked Home Executive

Quite some time ago I was following Flylady.net as an organization tool to keep our home neat and tidy while leading a very active lifestyle.  A few years ago I found myself sidelined and still have not resumed much in an active lifestyle.  Oh sure I do a lot of canning, gardening and traveling but on a day to day basis it's nothing like what it was.  My attention span is short and my multi-tasking is high.  I can't sit much longer than about 20 minutes so computer tasks take longer to complete but the good news is knitting and crocheting projects are worked on while watching television while straightening is done during commercials.  Add to that the chaos of having our house on the market for the last thirteen months and it is easy to see why sometimes I'm what the Flylady refers to as a SHE (sidetracked home executive).

I have continued to use a few tips from my Flylady days like the 27 Fling Boogie and 15 minute timer.  Both techniques work well for me as does clearing a hot spot and the three box toss method.  It's not like the house is dirty or we are suffering from CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrom) but with a potential move I'm looking at ridding some more of the clutter.  Most of the clutter is hidden in bins and boxes that we haven't unpacked from the last move.  The thing is if we haven't used it in four years perhaps it is time to get rid of it.  Now in fairness we had quite a bit in the garage from two kids, one who moved out of an apartment just before we moved here so we had all of that.  The situation for both has changed so we have been able to get rid of a lot of that.  While we have been decluttering for the last year in anticipation of moving, there's still more to do.  I have decided that I need to re-establish some of my former Flylady habits.  It will make the move a lot easier when we do move!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2011