What does a Garden Gnome do when she is not gardening, in the kitchen or doing genealogy? Well the answer might just surprise you so read the entries to find out more. This blog focuses on everything we do to make our house a home. There will be a strong emphasis on home energy efficiency and do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. At the same time there will also be crafts, knitting and crocheting projects along with any other little tips we do to create that down to earth, I want to be here home. Please enjoy your visit :)




Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Christmas Gift


James C. Brett
Marble
100% Acrylic

I learned to knit by hand when I was knee high to a grasshopper! It wasn't long after that I learned to crochet as well. A few years ago I bought my first knitting machine that was quickly followed by a second one. It is quite common for me to have several knitting and crocheting projects in various stages of completion on the go at any given time. Anyone who knits or crochets can attest to the large stash of various yarns they tend to accumulate. I'm no different in this respect.

What is better than buying yarn? A gift of yarn is even better as it is a thoughtful and useful gift that is sure to bring enjoyment while working with the yarn and later while wearing the garment. I was gifted with 4 skeins of James C. Brett Marble ( colour: MT9 Berries) 100% acrylic yarn that is machine washable and dryable. This gorgeous, super soft, double knitting weight yarn is made in Turkey. The yarn is a marl meaning it has two plies of different shades spun together. Unlike a normal varigated yarn, each of the plies change colour along their length, so this yarn knits into bands of colour to a very unique effect.

Each skein is 100 g, 220 m/240 yds so according this conversion chart there is approximately 75-100 yds per oz in double knit weight yarn so I have a total of about 9.6 - 12 oz of yarn to work with. According to weight I have 14 oz of yarn to work with. Using both the weight and length will help me decide what I want to make with the yarn. Now I need to find a pattern that will show off this gorgeous yarn.

To the gift givers of this beautiful yarn, thank-you so very much! I can't wait to see what it works up like :)

Garden Gnome
©2006-2009


1 comments:

Nicole said...

i'm not sure where to leave this, but in response to the comment you left.
my boyfriend set up the domain, and did all the coding and everything, and made the website. and then he made the sub-domain for the blogger account. there is an option to change your blog URL. i just put that in there, and that was the end of it!
so easy!