What does a Garden Gnome do when she is not gardening, in the kitchen or doing genealogy? Well the answer might just surprise you so read the entries to find out more. This blog focuses on everything we do to make our house a home. There will be a strong emphasis on home energy efficiency and do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. At the same time there will also be crafts, knitting and crocheting projects along with any other little tips we do to create that down to earth, I want to be here home. Please enjoy your visit :)




Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Aggressive Melasma Treatment

A couple of days ago I wrote about battling melasma, a skin disorder marked by patches of hyper pigmentation affecting mainly the face.  As a result, those affected end up spending a horrendous amount of money trying to correct or cover up the patches.  At the same time, they can become very self conscious of their facial appearance which can lead to anxiety, depression and low self esteem.  The good thing is, melasma can be treated aggressively using mainly all natural, non-toxic foods combined with a high SPF sunblock.  It is very important to use a high SPF sunblock to prevent hyper-pigmentation from reoccurring.  I honestly tried a lot of treatments, some painful and others that physically made me sick while costing me thousands of dollars before I finally went to a natural way of treating my melasma.

The key vitamins to focus on when treating melasma are E, C and A.  It is very important to treat melasma internally and externally as it is often related to a hormone imbalance in females, sun or skin damage, liver problems or pregnancy.  At any rate, the treatment must involve the whole body.    I am treating my melasma rather aggressively and so far successfully.  Here's my routine in the order I perform it twice daily:

  • goat milk soap - wash face well then rinse with clear water, vitamin A, lactic acid, cleanser
  • apple cider vinegar - apply with a cotton pad, let dry, repeat, anti-fungal and pH restorer
  • lemon juice - apply with a cotton pad, let dry, repeat, vitamin C and natural skin bleach
  • aloe vera - apply a generous layer of organic pure aloe vera gel, corrects sun damage and moisturizes
  • extra virgin olive oil - apply a thick layer of extra virgin olive oil, let sit 5 minutes then wipe off excess with cotton pad, vitamin E and moisturizer with anti-oxidant properties
  • sunblock - apply a generous layer of Neutrogena UltraSheer dry-touch sunscreen SPF 110


2 comments:

Unknown said...

HI,
First of All, I want to express how much I love your tips to treat melasma naturally!
THANKS a lot for all the info :)

I've have had this condittion for four years, with no positive results from creams, since im allergic to most bleachers.

I will follow you skin routine! im sure it will work:)
I have a few questions, I hope you can help me:

Ive been told, that after applying lemon on the skin I must rince because it will darken my stains if I go out, according to your routine you dont rinse right?

And, when I apply aloe vera from my plant, i get a yellowish color, does it happens to you aswell? do you rinse?

And the last question, sorry.

HOw often you do your tumeric mask

THANKS A MILLION!!.. you know how this condittion afects our selfsteem

love
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thank you for all these DIY/natural remedies! I developed melasma after I started taking medications for my auto-immune disease. It first started showing up my cheeks, then to on my forehead, and now on the edges of my lips. I'm in my early 20s and don't wear a lot of makeup, so I was confused at first. So now I know it's partly my medications and also the fact that I need to wear more sunblock.

I have a question on your routine: So does this mean you pack on these items to basically have one huge face mask then seal it with the sunblock? I'm just wondering how it's done step by step.