What does a Garden Gnome do when she is not gardening, in the kitchen or doing genealogy? Well the answer might just surprise you so read the entries to find out more. This blog focuses on everything we do to make our house a home. There will be a strong emphasis on home energy efficiency and do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. At the same time there will also be crafts, knitting and crocheting projects along with any other little tips we do to create that down to earth, I want to be here home. Please enjoy your visit :)




Friday, February 5, 2010

Flooring

I mentioned in my last post how upset I was to discover that a plywood subfloor had been nailed down over hardwood. While we wait for an answer on restoring our hardwood floors I thought I would share some of my thoughts on flooring. I detest carpeting! Carpeting has to be one of the most eco-unfriendly things in your house. It holds and traps so much dirt and allergens. It is home to the wonderful dust mite that can cause a host of problems for those allergic to them. At the same time carpeting cost you to vacuum and steam clean both of which cause further problems as far as air quality and/or increased dust mites. My goal has been to get rid of all carpeting in our home. I could maybe handle an area rug for the winter but other than that I want my floors bare. No vacuuming, no steam cleaning and no ugly stains! At most I will have to damp dust a few times a week but that doesn't use electricity and it really wouldn't take more than about 15 minutes. So that means we are in the process of removing every bit of carpeting from the house as quickly as we can replace it with hard flooring.

I'm leaning towards restoring the upper level hardwood floors if at all possible. In the lower level we will be using laminate flooring in the master bedroom as it is below grade and hardwood shouldn't be used. The pantry and laundry rooms already have sheet flooring that don't need replacing and while the kitchen has ceramic tile we will be replacing it. The open concept family room and small bathroom will be tiled as well. I should have the first of the craft room renovation posted tomorrow so be check back.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2010


0 comments: